Members of the Shade and Woodland Plants Group are a community of gardeners with a special interest in plants adapted to grow in these conditions. Most gardens have shade, whether under trees or in areas overshadowed by walls or buildings. The ground may vary greatly from soil that is rich and moisture retentive to that which is poor and dry. Here, perhaps more than in other areas, we need to put the right plant in the right place to ensure a good display.
With members scattered across the UK and abroad, the Group aims to establish an exchange of information and advice about growing shade tolerant plants and from this create a web-based archive available to the public.
Annual Meeting and AGM
The Group meets in the spring, and in different parts of the country which should give all members the opportunity to attend at least some of these events. The morning includes a lecture, plant sale and raffle, followed by an afternoon visit to a nearby garden or nursery. Our meeting in 2023 took us to Oxfordshire with an entertaining talk from Timothy Walker and a visit to Mike and Ann Collins wonderful garden.
Go to Upcoming Events on this page to find the details of the 2024 meeting.
4 Seasons in the Shade
4 Seasons in the Shade is the new quarterly e-newsletter featuring articles about plants adapted for shade and images of plants and gardens, as well as hints and tips from our members. Members of the Shade & Woodland Group will receive each issue, which will continue to be available on the website at a later date.
The Editor welcomes all contributions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our new Facebook group allows all HPS members to share their photos, comments and experience of growing in the shade. You will be asked to answer 3 questions when requesting admission to the group.
Visit our Facebook Group here
Membership of the Group
Membership of the Shade and Woodland Plants Group is open to all Hardy Plant Society members.
The group’s annual subscription will run from 1st January to 31st December each year:
- £5.00 per annum or £6.00 for two people living at the same address
- Overseas members: £7 p.a. (£8 joint), or £20 (£23 joint) for three years.
- Payments can only be accepted in sterling.
Joining the Group
Download the membership application form by clicking here then either:
Electronic application (preferred)
Please e-mail personal details as requested on the Application Form then make an electronic transfer from your bank account using the following details:
- Account: Shade and Woodland Plants Group
- Sort code: 52-10-19
- Account No: 14891530
- Reference: Your last name and HPS membership number (please make sure you include this so we can link your payment to your application). Your membership number has 6 digits, starting with the figure 8, and can be obtained by contacting email@example.com
Please download and complete the application form and send it with a cheque payable to ‘HPS Shade and Woodland Plants Group’ to the Membership Secretary at the address given on the form.
Payment by Standing Order
You may wish to complete the shadestandingorder form so that your annual subscription is paid on 1st January annually. This simplifies the administration of subscriptions and many HPS members already do this for their national subscription.
Winter Zoom Talks
Talks are free to Shade & Woodland Plant Group members who will be sent joining details nearer the date.
- Tuesday 30th January 2024: John Lonsdale (USA) – ‘Woodland Treasures’
- Wednesday 7th February 2024: Jenny Rose Carey (USA) – ‘Glorious Shade’
- Thursday 22nd February: Dr Andrew Ward (UK) – Woodland Gems Saturday
- 27th April 2024: The 10th Annual Meeting and AGM will be held at the Colwall Park Hotel, Malvern WR13 6QG. Full details here